Monday, February 27, 2017

Remembering The Past (Excerpt From "Cold Sun")




“Tell me a story,” Selah said as she laid her head in Talia’s lap.
They were in the gardens. Beneath the sunlight and surrounded by flowers. Bryon was off somewhere on Business and Caden was off playing the messenger.
Talia looked into her sister’s eyes with an easy smile, “What kind of story?”
“Comedy?” Talia played with one of Selah’s curls as she continued, “Drama?”
Selah rolled. “Are you done?”
“Do you want me to search my mind for a fairy tale?”
Selah shook her head. “Talk to me about them.”
Their parents. She wanted a story about them. Selah usually avoided talking about them. Talia usually trotted them out when she was trying to teach Selah a lesson her parents taught her.
“Something real,” Selah finished as she spun a grape between her fingers.
Something real? Translation, something not weighed down by some allegorical less? Searching her mind she nodded and stretched her legs out jostling Selah.
Selah shouldered the thigh closer to her and readjusted herself so she remained in Talia’s lap. This was reminiscent of so many of the picnics Talia used to have for her when Selah was younger.
They would cuddle together reading, braiding each other’s hair. Talking about school. Or Talia’s latest commission. Their picnics times turned into movie nights, then Selah became a teenager and her friends took center stage in her life. Talia had missed this.
 “Okay. How about the first time I cast a spell?”
Her coven felt that children were better about not abusing their powers when they learned at an older age. Training began in earnest around nine or ten. Before then, the youngest of the coven had their powers bound. An image rose to mind and Talia laughed.
“I was ten.” Frowning she took a beat, “maybe Eleven…”
“You were one or two. Mom was trying to teach me how to tap into my core. She wanted me to levitate an apple. But it was so boring.”
“I know right,” Selah teased impishly.
Talia ignored her sister’s response. The basics were always boring but they were necessary. Learning wasn’t always fun, but how could you expect to do anything complicated without the right foundation?
“Patrice told me all I had to do was think of air.”
“She said my instinctive ability would do the rest. What Patrice did not tell me that air and wind were two different things,” Talia smiled as the scene played out in her head. She did not think she had ever seen her mother quite so surprised.
Selah chuckled in anticipation of how this story would end. Her eyes trained on her sister’s face. Talia did not talk about her parents often. Thinking about them felt like a stab to the heart most days. She had not been the best daughter to them.
“I sent the apple flying across the room and hit dad right in the face. His nose ballooned and started bleeding in seconds.”
Their father hadn’t even been angry. In fact Talia thought he sounded a little proud as he tried to explain where she went wrong. Their mother just laughed as she looked down at Talia with exasperation. A common look on her face, even then.
Selah smiled. “You never told me that story.”
“It does not show me in the best light.”
“It is better.”
“Mom used to say you were her second chance.”
Talia sighed. Before her mother died, their relationship had been strained. She always expected more from Talia. Better from her. She always said Talia had the power to become the greatest witch of this century.
Those days Talia had been struggling to find herself and figure out what she wanted. Her regressions had been horrifying experiences and she was not sure she wanted anything to do with Coven business. Talia wanted to travel and paint, not lead a group of witches.
“All the mistakes she regretted with me, she was going to avoid with you.”
Selah frowned. “When?”
“Right before she died.”
They had just fought because Talia felt as her parents had stopped listening to her. Every chance they got they seemed to force their plans for her, irrespective of what she wanted for herself. She was just expected to be the good little witchling and follow the flower strewn path they set for her.
“I don’t think she meant it in a bad way. But it bothers me sometimes, when I look at you.”
“In what way?”
“Mom and Dad did not get me all the time. They thought I rebelled because that is what teenagers did. When really I think I just wanted to get as much living done as possible.”
Selah looked up at Talia as if she were in deep in thought. The fact was Talia could feel herself becoming more like her parents. The way they invaded every part of her life and pushed their views off on her. Before Selah’s abduction she had thought it was the only way to honor them. Now she was trying a different tactic.
“I could not talk to them.”
Talia pulled a lock of Selah’s hair. “We talk. Sometimes I forget that I am the adult and I just want to be your sister. Then I remember that I am not just your sister. And I feel like I am the world’s worst parent.”
Talia shrugged. “So I over compensate.”
“You definitely do sometimes.”
Talia poked her in the belly gently. “And you run away.”
Selah sat up and crossed her legs. “I am supposed to run away. It is what kids do, Talia. I do it because I know I will always have a home to come back to.”
Talia smiled wryly. “Somehow that is not comforting.”
Selah picked up another grape and threw it at her. “You need to have a baby. Something small and helpless to focus on.”
Talia’s eyes widened in shock as she exclaimed. “That is not happening.”
“Imagine. A boy with sweet deep dimples and wide set eyes.”

Talia placed a hand on her cheek. “I have enough on my hands with you and the secrets I know you are keeping.”




Jen A. Durand

No comments:

Post a Comment